Friday, April 07, 2006

Johnny Knoxville's success inspires other young actors named after cities in Tennessee



LOS ANGELES-- When MTV's "Jackass" became a cult favorite and then a mainstream hit, one could be forgiven for wondering if Johnny Knoxville was just a flash in the pan, experiencing his 15 minutes of fame.

Not so fast. With the runaway success of last summer's blockbuster "The Dukes of Hazzard," and the "The Ringer," Johnny Knoxville has cemented his status in Hollywood as a bankable leading man, alongside Brad Pitt, Vince Vaughn, and, unfortunately, Keanu Reeves.

But Knoxville has also inspired young actors, such as Johnson City, Jeremy Murfreesboro, and Darnell Chattanooga.

"Johnny's success has definitely inspired me," said City. Mr. City used to go by "John," but recently started using his full name, Johnson, again.

"I think people relate to him because he's clearly not real bright, only so-so looking. My agent and I are putting together a new promo package to play up the name thing. I got new headshots. I'm excited about it."

Although he's well established as a principal with the Royal Shakespeare Company in London, Jeremy Murfreesboro also celebrates Mr. Knoxville's success.

"Until the Hazzard movie came out, I wasn't really that familiar with him. But we share a bond I guess, sure. I don't know that it will help me get the lead in Hamlet. But you have to admire him, don't you?"

Darnell "D-Smoove" Chattanooga is a club DJ in New York trying to break through as a rap artist. He thinks Mr. Knoxville's notoriety can only help him.

"The way I see it is, people will hear his name and think, 'Knoxville...hey, that's pretty close to Chattanooga!' And then when they see my CD, they'll buy it."

But Darnell is not stopping there. He figures it will help his crossover appeal.

"Eventually, you know, that's the way you want to go, into movies just like [Ice] Cube, Snoop [Doggy Dogg], or Andre 3000. That's all part of my plan to build my brand."

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

I can't wait to see the name "Michael Jonesborough" up in lights.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home