Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Alito Disavows Earlier Conservative Statements: "I Just Said That to Get a Job"

WASHINGTON DC-- As hearings on the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Samuel Alito continued into a second day, Democratic Senators grilled the nominee over his previous controversial remarks. Alito distanced himself from many of his earlier statements, saying that he only took those positions "in order to get a job" in the Reagan administration.

Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D- Massachusetts) confronted Alito about many of the starkly conservative statements he made previously.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Supreme Court nominee Samuel "Sammy the Bull" Alito

Kennedy quoted Alito as having written that "it seems as though nowadays, women and minorities don't know their rightful place in society. They're showing up in the military, in the corporate world, even at my alma mater, Princeton University."

Alito responded by saying "Oh, those were the kinds of things you had to say to get a job in the Reagan administration. Besides, that was 20 years ago."

"You also said, Judge Alito," Kennedy continued, "and I quote: 'I'm not just saying that, either. If I deny it in 20 years, I'll probably be lying.'"

"I was just trying to burnish my credentials, Senator," responded Alito.

Senator Joseph Biden (D-Delaware) spoke for 8 minutes, and then said, "I forgot what I wanted to ask you. Anyway, don't be too conservative, okay, Sam?"

"I won't Senator Biden," answered Alito. "And I am not just saying that."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to laugh at the thought of ted kennedy questioning someone's integrity. a man who lets a car sink with another human being inside isn't the right person to ask about sammmy alito.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home